[GRASS-user] Re: [winGRASS] native winGRASS pre-alpha testers needed

benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de
Wed Sep 5 05:36:28 EDT 2007

In addition, GRASS shell scripts and modules should be checked
and hardened for cases where spaces may appear in file or directory names.

On a unix system, users generally don't store stuff in paths with
spaces, but Windows by its very design encourages this.
E.g. the user's home folder may well be something like

C:\Windows\Documents and Settings\Default User\

This can easily break scripts and modules that need to interact
directly with the filesystem, e.g. for reading and writing ASCII
files.

If the user installs the WinGRASS binaries into a path with spaces,
also something Windows encourages, there might be further sources of
trouble.

So I'd recommend to do just that: install WinGRASS into a dir with
spaces, create a GRASS mapset, also in a path with spaces, and
work from there to find all the vulnerable bits and pieces.

Benjamin