R: [GRASS-windows] WinGRASS and MSYS Hanging - Need help for student

Marco Pasetti marco.pasetti at alice.it
Fri Apr 4 14:53:14 EDT 2008

Hi Ryan,

>When he opens MSYS to run GRASS, nothing shows up in the window except the
cursor. (There is no command prompt)

Because he didn't start GRASS from MSYS. Please, read the "launching GRASS"
section in README file; you can find it in grass directory or here:
http://grass.osgeo.org/grass63/binary/mswindows/#Launching%20GRASS

>I asked him to instead use the Output window in the GUI and start GRASS
using the GRASS shortcut. However, when he enters a command and hits Run,
GRASS hangs and then Windows brings up the "GRASS has encountered an error
and must close."

Did he used Run or Run GUI?
Could you give me the command that created such error?

Marco

________________________________

I am TAing a brand new class that is using GRASS. I have a student that is
using WinGRASS 6.3RC6. He is running Windows XP.

When he opens MSYS to run GRASS, nothing shows up in the window except the
cursor. (There is no command prompt)

I asked him to instead use the Output window in the GUI and start GRASS
using the GRASS shortcut. However, when he enters a command and hits Run,
GRASS hangs and then Windows brings up the "GRASS has encountered an error
and must close."

Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas on how I can help him resolve
this?

Thanks,
Ryan