[GRASS-windows] RUSLE equation using GRASS

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Mon Sep 22 06:07:09 EDT 2008

On 20/09/08 00:33, Jesse Reinikainen wrote:
> Hi Helen,
>
> I have been doing some research about using the RUSLE equation to
> produce soil erosion potential maps.  I am aware of a tool using
> ArcView but would like to know if there is an established method or
> GIS tools to delineate areas (land use) to account for the (C) and
> (P) factors. The area of about 300 000 hectares? I have some limited
> SPOT imagery and aerial photography for the site.

As C is the landcover factor, you would have to look into techniques of
image classification. There is a large amount of literature on that. In
GRASS you have i.maxlik or i.smap & co.

The P is the supporting practices factor. AFAIK, this depends very much
on local practices.

You can have a look at this web site for more guidance on RUSLE and each
of its factors:

http://www.ott.wrcc.osmre.gov/library/hbmanual/rusle.htm

Moritz