[GRASS-windows] Error with d.rast on an r.external created raster

Matthew Landis landis at isciences.com
Tue Jun 23 10:37:33 EDT 2009

Hi everyone,

I'm just getting started with GRASS, and finding my way around. Has
anyone experienced the following problems, and if so, is there a simple
fix? I'm using GRASS 6.4.0 svn installed via the OSGeo4Win installer on
Windows XP.

I'd like to use r.external to access rasters so I don't have to have
multiple copies of data. But here's what happens when I try to view a
file created this way (using spearfish data as an example, but applies
to other files as well).

r.out.gdal input=elevation.10m output=elev_dem10.img format=HFA type=Float32
r.external -o -e input=elev_dem10.img output=elev_dem10_rext
d.rast map=elev_dem10_rext

Then I get:

Execution failed: ‘d.rast.exe –o map=elev_dem10_rext at user1’
Details:
Error: Unable to locate symbol <GDALAllRegister>

I was able to do the same thing under Linux, but encountered success, so
this seems to be a Windows specific issue.

Many thanks for any ideas.

Matt Landis