[GRASS-windows] please help - GRASS crashes at start-up

Peter Sullivan sullivan232 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 26 17:20:09 EDT 2009

Hello -

I am trying to launch GRASS GIS 6.4.0svn(TclTk) for the first time on Windows Vista-32 Home Premium, and am receiving a sequence of error messages following  location/mapset window.

(I ran an advanced install of all applications on 6/26/09, downloaded sample data sets for both SD and NC, and specified directories for location/mapset as shown in the first-timse user tutorial).

The error occurs after I click "Enter GRASS". Program starts to launch, then I get an error message:
"g.region.exe has stopped working"

I have two options: 'Check online for a solution and close' or just 'close'.

After clicking either of above, I then get:
"Error setting region (Problem with g.region?): child killed: unknown signal"

Again I get the same options to close as above, and another error message:
"g.proj.exe has stopped working"

Then a final message:
g.proj or projection error: child killed: unknown signal

An "Error in startup script" then appears, listing approx. 8 application/programming areas where errors seem to have occurred.

Then the program shuts down, except the command prompt screen remains.

I am not new to GIS, but have little background in programming and no idea how to troubleshoot this. None of the issues or tickets within the GRASS site appear to address this problem either.

Any suggestions out there?  I look forward to digging into the GRASS, so help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Pete Sullivan