[GRASS-windows] Overview of using GRASS in Windows

Mario Q cantabrian.caper at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 05:09:58 EST 2010

Hi,

My user-centered view (i.e. not a programming-savvy WinGRASS user):

- The version is stable
- I still find tcltk superior to the wxpython interface. If not for other
reason, I get better control of the functions and sintax, an advantage of
GRASS.
- Digitalization and NVIZ are said to be supported via tcltk in the GRASS
website (haven't really tested)
-When it comes to use GRASS alone, I do not feel OSGEO4W installer is worth
it. It is if you want to have the GRASS plugin for QGIS
- QGIS: I hope it is the future (because the whole idea is brilliant). As of
today, under Windows XP / Vista and a user that understands what a PATH is
and what dependencies are, it is hardly the present. At least not for raster
analyses. Crashes and plugin errors are frequent.

Best,

Mario