[GRASS-windows] Overview of using GRASS in Windows

Pedro Roma pedroroma1982 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 07:03:53 EST 2010

Greetings All

I'm a new GRASS user and I'm quite motivated in helping improving/testing
WinGRASS.

I have been reading older messages in this mailing list and in GRASS user
mailing List and I decided to make an overview of using GRASS in Windows.
Please correct me if I'm wrong
- Stand-alone Installer package available at GRASS website: It supports two
different types of GUIs (wxpython; tcltk). This version is "pretty stable"
but it doesn't support functions that requires Xmonitors (e.g.
orthorectification; digitalization; NVIZ; i.class).
- OSGEO4W installer with pkg-grass. The main advantage from stand-alone
installer is that it allows modules/scripts adding/developing;
- Cygwin Installer- I didn't tried yet (i'm getting a few errors) but I
suppose that xmonitors functions are fully available. Right?
- QGIS as a toolbox.  GRASS can be used as toolbox in QGIS interface.
According to QGIS manual I can add a few functions/modules besides the ones
that are already included in QGIS. But I don't know if the previous
mentioned functions are available.

Is this overview correct?
If I wanted to use WinGRASS and those special functions (e.g. i.class,
vector digitize), what option should I take? Cygwin or QGIS?
And what is your feeling about QGIS?

Thanks
Pedro

PS- Where I sign up to be used as WInGRASS guinea-pig? :)

Pedro