[GRASS-windows] Command line problems

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue May 18 09:55:37 EDT 2010

Hanlie Pretorius wrote:

> I seem to have msys installed with my GRASS installation, but it doesn't work.
>
> When I try to run GRASS with MSYS from the menu, it can't find
> rxvt.exe or sh.exe.
>
> I found sh.exe in the msys\bin folder of my GRASS installation and I
> can run it from there, but I can't use it for anything. If I run the
> shell and enter:
>
> eval `cat VTL2733.XYZ | r.in.xyz -s -g in=- fs=space out=test`
>
> I get the error messages:
>
> cat: command not found
> r.in.xyz: command not found

This is due to the PATH setting.

If you start MSys via the msys.bat it will set PATH, but it will also
run in an rxvt Window, which is rather unreliable.

I suggest creating a batch file, e.g.:

	set HOME=%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%
	set PATH=C:\msys\1.0\bin;C:\MinGW\bin;%PATH%
	start C:\msys\1.0\bin\sh.exe

Change the paths as appropriate for your system.

That will start a shell in a command window. From there, you will need
to start GRASS before you can use any GRASS commands.