[GRASS-windows] Imbedding in Windows GUI Application

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sun Oct 17 12:52:01 EDT 2010

On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 6:55 PM, WGPuckett <WGPuckett at aol.com> wrote:

> I need to begin development of an application that will run on WinXP and/or
> Win7.  One of the urgent needs for this application is to be able to display
> panels with maps in 2.5D and 3D.  From what I have found, GRASS is just
> about the only open source software that generates a sophisticated 3D map.
> Forgive me if I have missed this capability in reviewing the documentation
> but it appears that GRASS is primarliy intended to work from a command level
> scripting environment and not in a program environment.

What do you mean precisely?
Perhaps this page collection is useful for you:
http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Category:Linking_to_other_languages

> I wanted to confirm this before I move on.
>
> I primarily code in Java but if necessary I can develop in C# or C++.  Is it
> possible to utilize GRASS as an   API from a Java, C# or C++ application in
> a native Windows environment?  If this is possible would someone direct me
> to specific documentation and/or code examples?

Prof. Barton and group have been linking GRASS to JAVA for agent based
modelling.

> I need to be able to display the maps from inside my Windows application and
> control the maps from that application.  So I need to be able to ask GRASS
> to generate the map and pass it back to the code so that code can include
> the map in a panel.  I have written Windows applications using other mapping
> API's in this fashion but none of those API's provide the 3D support that
> GRASS does.
>
> I appreciate any help in finding answers to my questions.

Perhaps it would be better to discuss this on the grass-dev mailing list.

Markus