[GRASS-windows] some problem in strating with GRASS GIS 6.4.3RC1

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed Dec 12 11:14:52 PST 2012

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 10:02 AM, Angelo Paone <angelo.paone1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have to say that I am very new to Grass GIS world.

Welcome here!

> Anyhow, I have
> Downloaded the latest stable GRASS GIS 6.4.3RC1 packaged for OSGeo4W with
> Free GIS software packages and libraries such as: Quantum GIS, GDAL tools,
> MapServer, OpenEV, uDig.

Fine - just a note: RC1 is release candidate, so the final 6.4.3 is still to be
published.

> Now, following the instraction of Quick wxGUI tutorial, I try to run GRASS
> GIS, I have also installed in the directory C:\Users\USER\Documents\GIS
> DataBase, the North Carolina and Spearfish60 folders,
>
> I click on the GRASS GIS icon on the desktop, from the "Welcome to GRASS"
> window ( I have to say that in the same time a GRASS GIS command prompt
> come out with the following writting:
>

> -path=C:/OSGeo4W/apps/Python27/Scripts
>
> OSGeo4W home is C:/OSGeo4W
>
> Failed to set LC_ALL to en_US.UTF-8)

It seems that it wants to reach the english_US locale which is
absent on your computer. In which language is it running?
However, maybe not a problem.

> And I select from GIS data directory the folder GIS DataBase, from the
> Project location, I select the North Carolina sample datasets, and "user1"
> for the mapset, then click on "Start Grass". On my Windows desktop apper,
> two new GUI:
>
> GRASS GIS map display and GRASS GIS layer manager, but no map is dispalyed
> on the GRASS GIS map display and on GRASS GIS layer manager no list of
> files (Wxgrass-gis-manager-layer.png) is shown indicating geographic
> features : elevation, streams and roads etc. etc.

So, you loaded some maps into the layer manager?
Are the checkbox set?

Perhaps the
http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Computational_region

is not set properly. Use right mouse -> Zoom to map, maybe that
solved it?

Markus