[Ica-osgeo-labs] ICA-OSGeo Labs meeting

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Aug 20 05:05:00 PDT 2013

Dear all,

Please find the details of meetings planned in the next month for ICA-OSGeo Labs Network .

The first one will be next week at ICC 2013 http://www.icc2013.org/     during the ICA Commission on Open Source Geospatial Technologies meeting. Details below

Date - 28 August 2013 (Wednesday)
Time  - 14:30 - 16:00
Venue - International Congress Centre, Dresden

The second one will be at FOSS4G 2013 http://2013.foss4g.org/   in Nottingham

Date - 20th September (Friday)
Time - 09:00 -10:00
Venue-  East Midlands Conference Centre, Nottingham

There will also be our monthly telemeeting on 5th Sep 2013  at 18:00-19:00 UTC.
Meeting agenda at http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/ICA_OSGeo_Lab_Network_2013-09-05

The focus of all these meetings will be welcoming new members and updating all on the various activities and in particular expansion plans for Open Source Geospatial Labs in universities and educational institutes worldwide as per the ICA-OSGeo MoU.

All our labs are well positioned to take advantage of the expanding opportunities of OpenGIS  for building  new research opportunities.  For example,  Open Source, Open Standards and Open Data are key in Big Data research (from transportation, AgriGIS  to smartcities). Interoperability and standards hold the key for making open data sources readily usable by the scientific community.  The combination of open source, open standards and open data offer excellent opportunities to accelerate scientific advancement, jobs creation and driving economic growth. All our research labs have strong multi-disciplinary expertise and are well positioned for attracting opportunities in Big Data research and Citizen Science and we will target this for our H2020 and other joint bid plans.

With strong government policy instruments and investments happening in Open Data and Open GIS , we are in a very strong position to keep up the momentum for bringing more investment to keep expanding our research labs and achieve our target of establishing over 100 research labs worldwide in 3 years' time to rapidly accelerate research and teaching opportunities in geospatial science for universities worldwide.

It is amazing to see how our network has grown over in just a short period thanks to the hardwork and efforts of all of you.  We welcome more research universities to join us and i look forward to work with you all on this.

Suchith

may still contain software viruses which could damage your computer system, you are advised to perform your own checks. Email communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored as permitted by UK legislation.