[Ica-osgeo-labs] Teleconference - request for change of meeting time

Charles Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Tue Jul 30 08:14:48 PDT 2013

Hi all,

>  **
>
> Another thing i forgot to update on yesterday's meeting (because of time
> limitation) was the SIGTE's excellent organisation of the 4th edition of
> the Open Source GIS Summer School earlier this month. Many thanks to LluĂ­s
> and SIGTE colleagues for providing leadership in this and very happy to see
> this grow every year and helping spread knowledge and empowering new
> generation of students.****
>
> ** **
>
> The teaching materials are also available online at
> http://www.sigte.udg.edu/summerschool2013/   for the benefit of the wider
> community.

Wonderful!

Now a question. This is the kind of thing we want to promote and move
toward a system where the educational source is made available with some
kind of Creative Commons license where someone can utilize this content,
and/or create a new derivative of it. For example, I just downloaded the
Spatial Databases workshop, and it is a set of presentation slides, along
with the data for the exercises. I could see someone else in our network
wanting to use this content for a class they are creating, and perhaps
develop a tutorial based on the slides. Or someone might want to take these
slides and convert them to another language.

So we need a system to store the source content and associated data, with
its associated license, and then a system that allows new derivatives to be
created and put back in the repository.

Questions:

1) Should we investigate the use of GitHub for this purpose?

2) I'm doing fall course development right now (none involving open source
geo). But I wonder if anyone else is developing courses right now that are
related to our mutual interests. If so -- might we try to develop a
prototype system of educational content collaboration?

I think for future grant proposals around the ICA-OSGeo lab network
collaboration, having a prototype system in place might be very helpful as
a proof of concept.

Cheers,

Charlie

--
Charlie Schweik

Associate Professor, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
Department of Environmental Conservation - http://eco.umass.edu
Center for Public Policy and Administration - http://masspolicy.org
Associate Director, National Center for Digital Government - http://ncdg.org
Author, Internet Success: A Study of Open Source Software (MIT Press, 2012)
- see http://tinyurl.com/d3e4545
Outsmart Invasive Species project: http://masswoods.net/outsmart