[Ica-osgeo-labs] Open Access Book on Open Geospatial

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Nov 22 20:50:05 PST 2013

Hi All,

Earlier this week i  participated in the  10th Anniversary of the Berlin Open Access Declaration http://openaccess.mpg.de/286432/Berlin-Declaration
The two day deliberations http://www.berlin11.org/   was a good opportunity to bring together all key players to reflect, share ideas  and discuss future plans at a global level.  .

It was very inspiring event for me and it was really happy to see the momentum building up globally and to learn more about the latest developments and discuss ideas for future collaborations. It gives us more inspiration to further build up our Open Access initiative ELOGeo http://elogeo.nottingham.ac.uk/   for the benefit of the geospatial community worldwide. Thanks to Amir, Adam, Jeremy and to all the contributors and users of ELOGeo and also JISC for funding and supporting the ELOGeo initiative.

Special thanks  to the initiators of the Berlin Declaration for their farsighted vision and noble aspiration to make knowledge and information resources available to everyone.

I have been in discussion with colleagues at Nottingham on starting work on Open Access Book on Open Geospatial covering both applications and theory (with examples using OSGeo stack and open data). Amir is working on the initial content draft which i will share with anyone interested and invite all interested to contribute.

We would also like to get advice, feedbacks,ideas on Open Access Book publication. We have four main requirements

The whole book should be available online and free to all
It should be in CC licence
The chapters should be reviewed etc by editorial team and need help with proper typesetting etc as traditional publication
For those who want print version there should be facility to provide printed copy

So if you have ideas on this, please let me know.

SuchithThis message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee and may contain confidential information. If you have received this message in error, please send it back to me, and immediately delete it.   Please do not use, copy or disclose the information contained in this message or in any attachment.  Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this email do not necessarily reflect the views of the University of Nottingham.

may still contain software viruses which could damage your computer system, you are advised to perform your own checks. Email communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored as permitted by UK legislation.