[Ica-osgeo-labs] International Map Year 2015 and FOSS4G Europe 2015 Como

Christopher Tucker tucker at mapstory.org
Fri Oct 24 08:46:25 PDT 2014

All,

I find all this very exciting.  I must admit that I have not been active in ICA.  I am more of a FOSS4G/OGC kind of guy.  But, I am excited to learn about the commission (http://opensourcegeospatial.icaci.org/).  What does it mean to get involved?

MapStory is akin to OSM, except it is a global data commons for crowdsourcing (and soon crowd-editing) spatio-temporal data (what we call StoryLayers) and narratives (what we call MapStories) about anything that has ever happened on earth.  And, MapStory is built on the GeoNode (www.GeoNode.org) which began as a collaboration between OpenGeo (now Boundless) and the World Bank.  The MapStory Foundation, the US Army Corps of Engineers, the World Bank, the US State Department and many others have co-invested quite a lot in the GeoNode, and actively work to coordinate our investment roadmap into this open source platform with the larger community.

A major MapStory.org re-engineering and re-design is underway right now, targeting a re-launch at the beginning of 2015.  We would love to have MapStory help be a vehicle for spreading the good word about ICA's Year of the Map, and we would love to participate in the ICA Open Source Geospatial software Commission to coordinate the requirements of the larger global community and realize them within the GeoNode platform and our implementation of it at MapStory.org.

I look forward to hearing from anyone and everyone about how we can contribute!

Thanks

Chris

Dr. Christopher K Tucker
Chairman and CEO