[Ica-osgeo-labs] International Map Year 2015 and FOSS4G Europe 2015 Como

Georg Gartner georg.gartner at tuwien.ac.at
Fri Oct 24 08:49:58 PDT 2014

Dear Collegues,

I think terms like Paleogeography reflect some kind of "ordinal scale",
thus a judgement of
old/modern, good/bad, which I think is not useful at all in
cooperations, discussions, committments.

It is good, that you "stumble" over ICA initiatives, this is exactly
what we should do, be aware of
what we can do together.

You might want to find out from www.icaci.org, which instruments, ideas,
excellent persons (like
e.g. Suchith and his OpenSource Commission, or the NeoCartography
Commission) are there
and offered and in progress. I haven't witnessed ever, that ICA might be
describable like
  "

mostly focussed on traditional cartography and generally fairly
reserved towards crowd sourced geodata and community projects

", but rather the opposite. Check it out.

I think Cartography is so much relevant, modern and attractive, that it
is fun and rewarding to work in this domain.
I would be happy to take every idea or initiative in this respect on
board as ICA is an inclusive framework for everybody
working with maps and cartography.

with kind regards,

Georg Gartner
President
International Cartographic Association

PS. Please expect more detailed information about the International Map
Year in the upcoming weeks.
I think this might be a good opportunity for all of us to cooperate.

Am 24.10.2014 01:58, schrieb Stefan Keller:
> Hi,
>
> I just stumbled (too) over this: http://internationalmapyear.org 2015:
> see below.
> I'd love to make FOSS4G Europe 2015 Como a place where OSM meets ICA
> in order to explain to cartographers what OSM is ("Neogeography meets
> Paleogeography?" :-))
>
> Yours, Stefan

Univ.-Prof. Dr. Georg Gartner

president at icaci.org
http://www.icaci.org

Research Group Cartography
Department of Geodesy and Geoinformation
Vienna University of Technology
Erzherzog-Johann-Platz 1
A-1040 Vienna, Austria
T +43-1-58801-12611