[Ica-osgeo-labs] BOF in Portland: Some Ideas of certification

Dr. Franz-Josef Behr franz-josef.behr at hft-stuttgart.de
Wed Sep 24 06:27:39 PDT 2014

Dear colleagues,

during the BoF meeting in Portland we discussed the topic of FOSS4G
certification and Arnulf shared some of his thoughts and insights (see
also his talk/discussion [2] which I unfortunately missed, the slides at
[3].)

After the BoF meeting I had a further informal discussion with Philip
Davis.

One idea:

***
The participating Universities (faculty members) could elaborate a set
of prerequisites to award an FOSS4G certification and try to achieve an
agreement amongst the academians as well with the OSGeo foundation.
***

The certificates could point out that they are acknowledged by the
faculties/Unviersities who joined the Ica-osgeo-lab movement plus OSGeo.

The certificate could be granted by these Universities (for their
respective students/for participants in courses9 and by other
acknowledged institutions (i.e. MetaSpatial).

I found some keywords for Postgres certification [1], see below. Such
keywords could be transfered easily to our aimed fields of certification.

Arnulf lists some types of certification [4]:

     Open Source Geospatial Software Developer
     Open Source Geospatial Software Professional
     Open Geospatial Standards Expert
     Open Geospatial Data Expert
     Open Geospatial Consultant

Further/other types could be:

     Certified OS GIS Technologist
     Certified QGIS/... developer
     Certified Web GIS solution architect
     Certified PostGIS Associate ...

We could start with one of them...!?

Regards

Franz-Josef
Postgres Plus Associate Certification

     PostgreSQL System Architecture
     Installation
     Configuration
     Creating and Managing Databases
     Introduction to PSQL
     pgAdmin III
     Security basics
     SQL
     Backup and Recovery
     Point-in Time Recovery
     Routine Maintenance
     Postgres Data Dictionary
     Moving Data

Postgres Plus Professional Certification

     PostgreSQL System Architecture
     Transactions and Concurrency
     Performance Tuning
     Table Partitioning