[Ica-osgeo-labs] BOF in Portland: Some Ideas of certification

Jeremy Morley Jeremy.Morley at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Sep 25 01:49:59 PDT 2014

There seem to be two good ideas here for different markets: there's a
difference between the ECDL and, say, authorised Microsoft training &
certification. There seems to be room for technical capabilities
certification, which might be better run by companies, and user
proficiency certification that certainly universities could offer as short
courses or part of their degrees but maybe others could offer too.  Either
leads to the question of who comes up with and/or authorises curricula or
"learning outcomes"?  As Phil says, the UK body that accredits GIS degrees
(the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, RICS - don't ask why them:
like many things in the UK we're in a "well you wouldn't start there"
situation due to history) has partnership meetings annually and a periodic
review. They list competencies that they expect but aren't too
prescriptive about the detail of curricula and this seems to work pretty
well (for us and, it seems, for the relevant parts of the industry
interested in RICS accreditation).  The technical training might want to
be more specific about course content, but the more that's the case the
more work the OSGeo people would have to agree the specifications and to
keep them current with the rapid pace of change in some of the projects.

Regards,
Jeremy

Jeremy Morley
Geospatial Science Theme Leader, Nottingham Geospatial Institute,
Triumph Road, University of Nottingham. NG7 2TU, United Kingdom.
Web:   http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ngi     Twitter: jeremy_morley
Tel.:  +44/0 115 84 68411
Email: jeremy.morley at nottingham.ac.uk