[Ica-osgeo-labs] Idea: GeoForAll Sprint

Andrea Giacomelli pibinko at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 00:00:50 PDT 2015

Hi Jeff and all -

your reference to open curricula brough two things to my mind, which some
of you will surely know (at least for issue #1 )

1) in the late Nineties the NCGIA was providing a core curriculum in GIS. I
used it quite extensively back then, both to review specific topics which I
work on in my MS/PhD times, as well as a sort of "checklist" with interns I
was tutoring.

...I checked, and it's still there: http://www.ncgia.ucsb.edu/giscc/ .the
latest updates are dated 2000 ...setting aside memories of yonder, maybe
some parts can be a nice starting point

2) In 2007-2008 GFOSS.it (the Italian OSGEO Chapter) provided the free/open
source version of the so called "ECDL test". ECDL stands for "European
Computer Driving Licence"...there was a GIS module which was geared on
proprietary software, and we proposed adapting it to QGIS, for a start.

At the time I was with GFOSS.it and coordinated the preparation of the test
(with the precious support of Leonardo Lami and Massimo di Stefano).

The "exercise pool" for test includes some 40 questions/simple
exercises....if you think this may be of use, I can fetch it.

Best regards from Italy -

Andrea Giacomelli
http://www.pibinko.org