[Ica-osgeo-labs] Urban Science - City Analytics Group - Upcoming City as Commons conference in Italy in November

Charles Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Wed Jul 8 03:13:46 PDT 2015

Hi GeoForAll Urban Science Group -- especially our european colleages,

1) I am sending this to one of our original email lists... I'm not sure who
is on the urbanscience listserv that was established. Should we use that
instead Patrick or Chris?

2) There is a call for abstracts for a conference in Italy in Novemeber on
the City as a Commons [1]. Our work might not fit exactly in this, but for
example, Volunteer Geographic Information for Urban is one example of where
'commons' activity occurs in our work. I encourage people on this list to
look at the call and consider submitting something. What we are trying to
do, in my view, is develop data and technology 'commons' for urban policy
and management.

3) Note, the above is a thematic conference of the broader Interational
Association for the Study of the Commons [2]. In an effort to build our
community, over the next few years, I am hoping to make a strong connection
between GeoForAll and OSGeo and IASC... there are many researchers and
educators who attend IASC conferences (many study natural resource commons
'-- landcover, water, irrigation systems, fisheries) and they need GIS and
many come from developing world contexts. I'm hoping we can plan to have
some GIS workshops at the next global IASC conference in July 2017 in
Utrecht, Netherlands. Let me know if you have any interest in that idea.

Cheers,
Charlie

[1] http://www.labgov.it/urbancommons
[2] http://www.iasc-commons.org/