[Ica-osgeo-labs] Looking for Web-GIS syllabi

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 06:42:09 PDT 2015

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 5:01 PM, Jorge Gustavo Rocha <jgr at di.uminho.pt>
wrote:

> My goal was to create a course that could be translated to different
> languages, and always using local data.
>
> I've created http://mapmaking.info/ to setup the course. I've just
> created contents for chinese students, using chinese data (but I didn't had
> time to write it in mandarim, so it is still in english). Now I'm
> translating the course to portuguese, using data from Portugal.
>
> My suggestion is to use administrative data for some global source like:
> * http://www.gadm.org/
> * http://gdem.ersdac.jspacesystems.or.jp/
> * OSM planet extracts
>
> Every student would use the same technologies, the same algoritms, but
> using data that has some meaning for them. Those interested in teaching the
> course to a new community would have to translate the contents and to
> provide the equivalent datasets related with the community.
>
> We already have tons of open source software available in different
> languagues and amazing data from all around the globe. It is time to create
> powerful contens "Think globally" adapted to local learning communities
> "act locally".

This is a great approach. In GRASS GIS community, we are preparing datasets
which should allow exactly this - using the same examples but with
different data. We hope it will be reusable by others in the same way as
the original North Carolina (nc_spm) data were reused by others especially
OSGeoLive. Here is a wiki page about it:

http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Standardized_Sample_Datasets

I'll have a talk at FOSS4G Europe where I'll will partially talk about it
(abstracts are not online yet, so no link). There are two more datasets
being prepared besides North Carolina (USA) and Piemonte (Italy) which you
can already see on the wiki.

Anybody, let me know if you are more interested in that.

Vaclav