[Ica-osgeo-labs] Open GIS Academics and educators please apply to AAG call before June 15th, 2015

SERGIO ACOSTAYLARA sergio.acostaylara at mtop.gub.uy
Fri Jun 12 06:31:38 PDT 2015

​​Hi all. I feel that I have to say that I completely disagree with that "software agnostic" point of view; otherwise I wouldn't be supporting this initiative, among other things. Or is -for example- OSGeo "software agnostic"? The MoU approved between ICA and OSGeo that gave rise to Geo4all leaves no doubt about it. I also agree -as Suchith- that the focus should be on the development of a set of core competencies and course objectives. But as we say in my country: one thing is one thing and another thing is another thing. We need to create consciousness about the importance of supporting the development of open-source geospatial software technologies, training and expertise. It is not at all only a question of money; it`s about independence, it's about freedom -to choose, to create, to disseminate-, and of course it's a question of sovereignty. When we developed the Batoví project for the Plan Ceibal (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orwN9K07XPo) we decided to use open-source software for these reasons (in addition to the "money" thing, obviously...); otherwise it would have failed. Now we can develop those above-mentioned competencies and course objectives any time, anywhere, free of charge and -most important- free of conditions. Sorry for this but I felt I needed to say it. Thanks Suchith for your first mail on this thread that inspired me to write this one.

Cheers,

Sergio Acosta y Lara
Departamento de Geomática
Dirección Nacional de Topografía