[Ica-osgeo-labs] Open GIS Academics and educators please apply to AAG call before June 15th, 2015

Charles Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Fri Jun 12 23:08:35 PDT 2015

+1...

I am starting to develop a web-GIS class with some colleagues and it is my
hope that we can separate out conceptual/theoretical from
technology-explicit content. It is interesting to try and thing of what the
pure learning objectives are in this area. If anyone has ideas on this let
me know off-thread...

Perhaps obvious, but the separation of conceptual and tech training
examples s is important for OSGeo too, for, for example, there are multiple
desktop packages.

Cheers,
Charlie

On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 10:38 PM, Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On 13/06/2015 1:14 am, Anthony Robinson wrote:
>
>> So what I mean is that the
>> learning objectives should be pure learning objectives. For example:
>>
>> YES to “Students should be able to explain projections and choose an
>> appropriate one for making a thematic map.”
>>
>> NO to “Students should be able to explain projections and choose an
>> appropriate one for making a thematic map using QGIS (or ArcGIS Online, or
>> whatever).”
>>

> +1 to this explanation Anthony.
>
> Once learning objectives have been created, it will make it much easier to
> develop relevant training courses for specific products, which can
> reference back to the training objectives.
>
> And if the development of base course material is set up along similar
> collaborative principles to Open Source development, then the relatively
> high effort of maintaining training material could be absorbed by the
> product's community (probably through a combination of developers, users
> and trainers).
>
> --
> Cameron Shorter,
> Software and Data Solutions Manager
> LISAsoft
> Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf,
> 26 - 32 Pirrama Rd, Pyrmont NSW 2009
>
> P +61 2 9009 5000,  W www.lisasoft.com,  F +61 2 9009 5099

Charlie Schweik

Associate Professor, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
Dept of Environmental Conservation and Center for Public Policy and
Administration

Personal website: http://people.umass.edu/cschweik
Publications: http://works.bepress.com/charles_schweik/

Author, Internet Success: A Study of Open Source Software (MIT Press, 2012)
- see http://tinyurl.com/d3e4545