[Ica-osgeo-labs] Open GIS Academics and educators please apply to AAG call before June 15th, 2015

Anthony Robinson acr181 at psu.edu
Mon Jun 15 08:28:24 PDT 2015

I’m sure you’ve seen this stuff before, but for others watching this thread,
a lot of ground is already covered by the existing GIS&T body of knowledge,
which is currently under revision to provide new foci around web mapping,
dealing with big data, etc… The pre-revision BoK is still highly useful for
course development, in my opinion:
http://www.aag.org/galleries/publications-files/GIST_Body_of_Knowledge.pdf

Here’s an interesting network viz of the BoK, too:
http://carto.byu.edu/bokviswiki/

Another source of learning objectives in GIS&T is the Geospatial Technology
Competency Model, which has also been recently revised (Tiers 4 and 5 are
most relevant for this discussion, I think):
http://www.careeronestop.org/competencymodel/competency-models/geospatial-technology.aspx

I know Sterling Quinn struggled with this notion when developing his new
course for us on Open Web Mapping. We worked hard to try and sort out
objectives around learning design patterns while making use of open source
tools, anticipating that while the individual tools may change over time,
the fundamental need will probably still be there to understand how to use
libraries to create web map tiles/vectors, do spatial computing on the
server-side, and make the leap from desktop GIS into layers that will work
for web mapping.

Cheers,

-Anthony