[Ica-osgeo-labs] CitySmart/SmartCity Road Map: 'The Challenge'

Hogan, Patrick (ARC-PX) patrick.hogan at nasa.gov
Mon Mar 9 16:41:04 PDT 2015

OSGeo GeoForAll Folks,

We had a nice joint-session today of the OSGeo GeoForAll 'movers and shakers' orienting mostly to 'what's needed.'
https://rd-alliance.org/ig-geospatial-p5-joint-session.html

It looks like we have needs to do big analytics on big data. This is not ^new^ news and 'yet we have yet' to find the rally point where we actually begin to move forward together. This is the purpose of our Road Map Challenge. And what do we all have in common? We all need to see pixels show up when and where we want them, the geospatial visualization medium, the picture that speaks a thousand words. For spatial data this means a dynamic virtual globe, and for OSGeo, FOSS4G and the scientific research community, this also means open source! Something we all collectively own.

We need a 'Road Map' for that open source virtual globe platform (the app).  And, if this app had an API for the menu system, it would allow anyone to build whatever functionality they desired and essentially 'drop-it-in.' The immediate 'global' benefit of this is that it will also greatly facilitate sharing of those functionalities. And for the open functionalities versus the proprietary one (yes, both are allowed), these functionalities could be continually advanced by the global community, as would the platform itself.

Cities need urban management tools! Not surprisingly, most city needs are quite similar in nature. So, this is an exciting opportunity to serve our own interests, that of each city, and yet by doing so, also collectively serve the interests of a global community. In this way each forward step one of us makes moves us all move forward together.

I have added a base set of requirements to the 'Road Map Challenge' for those who might wonder what 'basic' virtual globe requirements look like:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GeoForAll_UrbanScience_CityAnalytics#CitySmart.2FSmartCity_Road_Map:_.27The_Challenge.27

We dare any group who wants to win the Crystal Bull (see it here, http://eurochallenge.como.polimi.it/) to take up this challenge, or forever sit on the sideline waiting for something good to happen. Please just let Chris or myself know that you are 'in' and that you plan to deliver your Road Map Challenge requirements document, with your CitySmart standard-features and use-cases defined, by May 30.

Thanks much,
-Patrick