[Ica-osgeo-labs] I need your help to Success Nigerian Resettlement

Hogan, Patrick (ARC-PX) patrick.hogan at nasa.gov
Mon Nov 30 10:25:24 PST 2015

Dear Prof. Kalum Priyanath Udagepola,

The environmental conditions of the world are in fact deteriorating and exacerbating already difficult circumstances. When there is less to fight over, the fighting is more a symptom than the source of the problem. We must find ways for working ^with^ the Earth in natural sustainable ways versus ^extracting^ all we can from it without regard for sustainability. Easy enough to say, but not easy to do, whether for the unsustainable fertilizers and suicide-seeds of big agri-business or simply the local community needs overwhelming the available resources, in addition to poor agricultural methods. As you suggest, we need tools that will allow for strategic planning of communities livelihood, for agriculture and other related infrastructure needs.

Is this Yacouba Sawadogo  story something we should be modeling solutions after?
http://blogs.worldwatch.org/nourishingtheplanet/the-man-who-stopped-the-desert-what-yacouba-did-next/
http://www.odditycentral.com/news/meet-yacouba-sawadogo-the-man-who-stopped-the-desert.html

ESA has standardized on www.WebWorldWind.org<http://www.WebWorldWind.org> and I am sure that if we describe what is needed for Nigeria, we could make a strong case for access to available satellite data that could be useful in considering agricultural interests. Even better, UAVs are proving very powerful for collecting much higher quality data for moisture content and NDVI-type analyses. See work being done for education by Ron Fortunato, http://aworldbridge.com/.  Ron could establish this program with the American University of Nigeria. You will also find other agriculture-related activities at that website for accelerating the natural restoration of the soil’s micro-fauna.

It would be wonderful to see Nigeria’s computer science students building solutions that the larger world community could also benefit from. We are encouraging that kind of collective global-approach to problem-solving with the Europa Challenge, http://eurochallenge.como.polimi.it/

If you believe I can help with any of these ideas, please feel free to ask.

-Patrick
(650) 604-5656 (office)
(650) 269-2788 (cell)