[Ica-osgeo-labs] GeoAcademy in Directions Magazine

Hogan, Patrick (ARC-PX) patrick.hogan at nasa.gov
Tue Oct 6 08:44:15 PDT 2015

Phil, nice work! Charlie, nice call! And words by Diana S. Sinton worth repeating. . .

Some MOOCs don’t just fade away, they transform. One former MOOC, Del Mar College’s Introduction to Geospatial Technology using QGIS<https://www.canvas.net/browse/delmarcollege/courses/introduction-to-geospatial-technology-1>, is now a series of five self-paced classes<http://fossgeo.org/free-qgis-courses/>. These are offered by GeoAcademy<http://fossgeo.org/about-geoacademy/>, an “independent consortium of GIS educators dedicated to promoting the use of open source software for geospatial technology education.” Lead instructor Phil Davis says that there are currently about 500 students who have enrolled in the courses. This isn’t a massive number, but this reflects the trend towards open online courses with self-paced content, like the Discover Spatial<http://discoverspatial.com/> collection.

GeoAcademy course of special note: QGIS Courses<http://fossgeo.org/free-qgis-courses/>