[Ica-osgeo-labs] Urban Science thematic and linking ideas for helping the ageing population needs in Smart Cities?

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Sep 18 04:59:25 PDT 2015

Dear All,

Yesterday, i attended an interesting event of the “Ubiquitous interoperable Care for Ageing People " UNCAP project.  They are doing really interesting research on platform based on open industrial standards able to create new care & assistance paradigms and their result will be an open source, scalable and privacy-savvy ecosystem ready to help ageing people live independently. Details at http://www.uncap.eu

So i can see huge synergies with our Urban Science-City Analytics thematic activities and got me thinking on how we can explore more opportunities to collaborate with UNCAP and others working in HealthGIS domain to collaborate open frameworks for Smart Cities for helping the ageing population needs?

To give some background , we at the University of Nottingham are just starting a new 4 year study titled "Scaling the Peaks" funded by the Alzheimer’s Society (lead by Dr. Fiona Marshell). A PhD stipend opportunity is now advertised as part of this, so interested candidates can apply.  This study is examining the everyday life of people living with dementia who live within the Peak District National Park, Derbyshire in UK.

So it is a good timing to think of looking of expanding our Smart Cities thematic to look into HealthGIS aspects of Smart Cities for helping the ageing population needs (mobility etc). All ideas welcome.

Patrick - i was also able to finally meet some key people in UNCAP who contributed  also in the Europa Challenge!

Best wishes,

Suchith

http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GeoForAll_UrbanScience_CityAnalytics

University of Nottingham.