[Incubator] Project Status Template

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Apr 5 10:27:10 EDT 2006

Paul Spencer wrote:
> Frank ...
>
> If there is a possibility that a project can be rejected then it may be
> unwise to port the project's infrastructure into the osgeo
> infrastructure since that may cause more work for the project if they
> are rejected and migrate out.

Paul,

Well, if the approval is in doubt it would be prudent for a project to
avoid the most expensive/disruptive types of migration.

> Should we:
>
> * make this possibility known and leave it to the project to decide

This is the current approach.

> * have the project pass an Incubator Committee vote on whether its
> probability of success is high enough to warrant use of the osgeo
> infrastructure (and how do we assess this)

Well, I'm not too keen on this.  *But* I don't think we should even
be accepting projects into incubation unless we believe they are likely
to pass incubation.  I think this is one of the points that Sean has
a different opinion that I do, I believe.

> * have a parallel infrastructure for incubation projects, or possibly
> just a parallel of a portion of the infrastructure such as
> http://incubator.osgeo.org/<projectname>

What would the benefit of this parallel infrastructure be?  I'm not
keen on any extra complication, nor for having to do further migration
(other than updating a few status items) when transitioning from
incubation to full membership.