[Incubator] Governance and OSGeo Projects

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Apr 12 07:30:50 EDT 2006

Mark,

despite your suggestion that we should lead vs control, I still think
we need to set a minimum standard or level of project maturity.  I
suggest that there are some of these items that are a 'will' instead
of a 'should' or that a minimum number of 'should's have to be in place.

For instance:

Mandatory:
* Projects will manage themselves striving for consensus and
encouraging participation.
* Projects will document how they manage themselves
* Projects will maintain a source code management system - svn or cvs
preferred
* Projects will maintain a discrepancy tracking system
* Projects will maintain project mailing lists
* Projects will continuously review and control their code bases to
insure the integrity of the open source baselines

Optional:
* Projects should encourage participation from all contributors -
from beginning users to advanced developers.
* Projects should maintain developer and user documentation
* Projects should actively promote their participation in OSGeo
* Projects should use the OSGeo infrastructure where practical
* Projects should implement a daily build and test system

Desirable:
* Projects are encouraged to adopt open standards and collaborate
with other OSGeo projects
* Projects are encouraged to adopt OSGeo look and feel, branding,
logos on their project sites
* Projects are encouraged to participate in OSGeo standardization
efforts to present a common interface for OSGeo visitors and members

... or something like that :)

Cheers

Paul