[Incubator] Governance and OSGeo Projects

Mark Lucas mlucas17 at mac.com
Tue Apr 11 17:14:47 EDT 2006

I'd prefer to start with guidance and policy consistent with our
goals rather than trying to impose some sort of pass/fail criteria on
existing and mature projects.  If we run into serious issues or
contention then we can provide a path to discuss this within the
community and potentially at the board level to see if action is
required or prudent given our overall objectives.

I've been impressed by the lack of controversy and the degree of
cooperation in all of the OSGeo discussions.

In terms of governance we have some common sense guidelines that we
could all quickly agree on:

Projects should manage themselves striving for consensus and
encouraging participation from all contributors - from beginning
users to advanced developers.

Projects should document how they manage themselves

Contributors are the scarce resource and successful projects court
and encourage them

Projects are encouraged to adopt open standards and collaborate with
other OSGeo projects

Projects should maintain developer and user documentation
Projects should maintain a source code management system - svn or cvs
preferred
Projects should maintain a discrepancy tracking system
Projects should maintain project mailing lists
Projects should actively promote their participation in OSGeo
Projects are responsible for reviewing and controlling their code
bases to insure the integrity of the open source baselines
Projects are encouraged to adopt OSGeo look and feel, branding, logos
on their project sites
Projects are encouraged to participate in OSGeo standardization
efforts to present a common interface for OSGeo visitors and members

The OSGeo will in turn attempt to make available the best of breed
open source collaborative tools and resources to support those
efforts, if we offer better tools and resources projects will
naturally migrate to the better implementations.

I'm sure I've missed several important points, the main point being
that we lead vs control.

New projects compete for our approval with the same guidelines -
hopefully they will be included based on their perceived value to the
OSGeo overall goals and objectives.

Mark