[Incubator] proposal to graduate MapBender

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Mon Jul 3 02:34:08 EDT 2006

On Mon, July 3, 2006 03:30, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Cameron Shorter wrote:
>> Could someone please expand on how Mapbender proposes to handle bugs.  I
>> had similar concerns to Frank regarding bug tracking and would like to
>> see how this is to be addressed.
>>
>> My vote: +0
>> Will be +1 after seeing a solid plan to set up a bug tracker.
>
> Cameron,
>
> I don't believe there is any plan in place.  But Uli has called a
> Mapbender
> PSC/dev meeting for Monday to address the issue.  Perhaps after this he
> can report on the plan(s) if any.
>
> Uli writes:
>  > dear list,
>  >
>  > we invite all members of the dev-list to the following discussion:
>  > Topic: How to manage bugs for Mapbender
>  > Monday, July 3, 11:00 (Berlin)
>  >
> http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?day=3&month=7&year=2006&hour=11&min=0&sec=0&p1=37
>  > irc.freenode.net#mapbender
>
> I'll try and attend the meeting if I can rouse myself at the appointed
> hour.  But from my point of view, I'm happy they are considering the
> issue.
>
> Best regards,

Hi,
to make a long story short - we tried to get bug tracking operative
several times, but it never worked. Some traces can still be found on
SourceForge and a more recent faint try is in the CN Project Tracker. But
it was never put to any good use - neither by the users nor by the
developers, they all simply ignore it. We have it on our long term agenda
and will address it once it becomes useful - currently it simply is not.

It gives me the impression that we would impose a technical and
operational barrier to an otherwise perfectly well working informal way of
doing things.

I don't know why, but there has always been a lack of fundamental errors
in the software. Practically all issues brought up in the mailing lists
can be idnetified and resolved as a problem outside the Mapbender
codebase. Its not that the software is so great and perfect but rather
that it only glues together other highly standardized pieces of code. I
can see that I can't really explain. Maybe our chat will shed some more
light on the issue. And yes, I am the first to support a formalized way to
handle bugs. Maybe the neeed will arise as we see more project
interaction.

Regards, Arnulf.