[Incubator] Roles & permissions

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jul 6 10:18:06 EDT 2006

Auke Jilderda wrote:
> Some of the existing roles on the platform have been modified and a
> couple of new roles have been defined (probably by Daniel?).  How about
> I clean this up by removing duplicate roles such as "co-project owner"
> and "project contributor"?  (I will revoke the roles and replace them
> with the appropriate standard role before deleting the duplicate role.)

Auke,

I'm personally ok with this, but then I am not sure what rationale might
have existed for some of the roles.  I don't necessarily mind leaving
things as they are either.

> As to granting the access rights that the Observer role defines to any
> visitor to the site: there is a difference between visitors who have not
> logged in and, with that, are not identifiable and people who have
> logged in but don't have particular roles in projects.  Upon login, a
> user automatically has the domain role "registered user" (see [2]).  I
> think what you're asking for is to grant anybody who is logged in the
> access rights as defined by the Observer role, correct?

For Observer I see:
         * Views, but does not change project resources.
         * Read-only access to most project resources.
         * Read-only access to web content and source code.
         * Gains submit access to tracking component.
         * Subscribes and posts to project mailing lists.

I think I would like any anonymous visitor to have the first three
items.  However, I can see that it might be desirable to limit submit/update
access to the tracker and "easy subscription" to registered users.

I think my desire for any visitor to have most observer options is the
frustration I've had with having to log in for seemingly pointless things,
and also my frustration that as a registered user I still can't see things
like project membership for some projects.

Without a more detailed understanding of how things work (on my part), and
more specific use cases that I think need improvement, I think I shouldn't
suggest any changes.