[Incubator] seang on "How Rigorous is OSGeo Software Incubation?"

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 16:19:56 EDT 2006

Sean does make some good points.
1. That we have graduated a project without having a track record of
using an issue tracker.  I work with Process Improvement using CMMI
where it is specified that a process is not "institutionised" until it
has been in use for 6 months.

2. We graduated Mapbender despite it seeming to have the significant
majority of it's developers being funded by one organisation (which I
believe is a contributing factor to 1.).

I voted for graduating Mapbender and probably did so prematurely. I
don't think we should be reversing our decisions but I think Sean's
points are valid and should be considered for future projects.

Jo Walsh wrote:
> dear incubators,
>
> Sean Gillies' blog is one of the very few that I regularly read.
> http://zcologia.com/news/218 is a pretty thought provoking essay
> covering his concerns about the rigour of the incubation process,
> urging OSGeo to "raise the bar" before too many of the founding
> projects are graduated. Sean asks for feedback on his blog:
> "How about it, incubator committee?" (cage fight, anyone? ;) )
>
> best wishes!
>

> jo

Cameron Shorter
http://cameron.shorter.net