[Incubator] seang on "How Rigorous is OSGeo Software Incubation?"

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Jul 20 17:08:57 EDT 2006

As usual, Sean has clearly and concisely stated his case.  From my
reading, there are three specific things that he is suggesting that
we address:

1) it is implied that all 8 original projects will graduate

I agree that it is assumed that all the projects will graduate.  I
think this is actually built into the process of accepting any
project into incubation.  By design, we only accept projects that we
think have a reasonable chance of graduating.  Should it be
otherwise?  Is this actually a critical flaw?

2) bug tracking

agreed and this probably should have stopped graduation.  I like
Cameron's input on the 6 month timeframe ... so if a project has to
implement a new process to adhere to the "OSGeo Way", we should allow
that process a minimum of 6 months to mature.

For this item specifically, I think it would be useful to expand some
of the official documentation with some of the text in Sean's blog to
justify a more rigid requirement on bug tracking.

3) social health

In the specific case of GDAL, we should probably apply the above rule
and wait about 6 months to see if the new PSC actually starts to
work.  One of my comments in the status report was that I had not
really had a chance to see the PSC in action, and this 'rule of
thumb' would certainly address that.

I don't have a specific proposal to put forward to the IncCom yet,
but it seems that we should tighten up the incubation process to include

- more rigourous requirements for bug tracking (update documentation
accordingly)
- a minimum maturation time of X months for new processes implemented
as part of meeting the OSGeo way (i.e. implementing a PSC or bug
tracking)

I'd like to see some feedback from other IncCom folks too.

Cheers

Paul