[Incubator] Roles & permissions

Auke Jilderda auke at collab.net
Fri Jul 21 10:37:04 EDT 2006

On Thursday, July 06, 2006 16:18, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> I'm personally ok with this, but then I am not sure what rationale
> might have existed for some of the roles.  I don't necessarily mind
> leaving things as they are either.

The concern I have about leaving it the way it is, is pretty clearly
visible on the site already: many people have redundant, needless, or
meaningless roles in projects.  Consequently, it is easy to overlook a
person and grant a 'wrong' role.

A manageable approach would be to have Content Viewer (full read-only
access), Observer (read-only access + ability to submit defect report),
Developer (r/w access), and Project Owner (r/w access + configuring
project tools) and then grant anonimous users the Content Viewer role in
all projects, logged in users the Observer role in all projects, and
leave the Developer and Project Owner roles to the projects to define
and manage.

> For Observer I see:
>          * Views, but does not change project resources.
>          * Read-only access to most project resources.
>          * Read-only access to web content and source code.
>          * Gains submit access to tracking component.
>          * Subscribes and posts to project mailing lists.
>
> I think I would like any anonymous visitor to have the first three
> items.  However, I can see that it might be desirable to limit
> submit/update access to the tracker and "easy subscription" to
> registered users.

Indeed.

> I think my desire for any visitor to have most observer options is the
> frustration I've had with having to log in for seemingly pointless
> things, and also my frustration that as a registered user I still
> can't see things like project membership for some projects.
>
> Without a more detailed understanding of how things work (on my part),
> and more specific use cases that I think need improvement, I think I
> shouldn't suggest any changes.

Well, number one requirement for a solution is that there needs to be a
problem.  If nobody sees this as a problem, we can easily leave it as
is (with the side note that it'll be more work to clean up as the site
gains momentum).

Auke