General Blast to the OSGEO world from CollabNet

Andrew Kelly akelly at collab.net
Fri Jun 23 16:16:13 EDT 2006

Hi folks,

I apologize for the wide dissemination, but I thought this was the best
medium to get the word out to everyone.  As most of you are aware, we've
had a change of personnel at CollabNet with respect to OSGEO consulting
support.  Daniel Brookshier is no longer with CollabNet, Auke Jilderda
(auke at collab.net) will take up the reigns, with support from myself.

I wanted to also say we're doubling down our efforts to support this
community.  We acknowledge that we need to do a better job of reaching
out to and interfacing with the community, meaning the Foundation
members as well as key FOSS project owners.  We also aim to improve our
responsiveness to community concerns with respect to the decision of
using the current site to host projects.  Though the CollabNet platform
is a tried and true solution to building successful open source
projects, these are strategic decisions you are faced with, not to be
taken lightly.  I personally think the true strength of the CollabNet
platform and services lies in the strength of community, meaning
multiple projects collocated together, gaining market presence,
leveraging best practices, sharing tools, resources and ideas, creating
solutions rather than disparate applications.  It's a 1+1 = 3
philosophy.  It is my hope that we can exhibit that value going forward,
which is in effect the marching orders that Auke has been given.

Auke has begun the process of reaching out to folks to start that
relationship building, and I expect that will continue for another
couple of weeks.  We both agreed that the best approach is to open the
lines of communication with the key Foundation members to get a solid
and fresh understanding of the climate we're working in, then press
forward with proposing and driving activities.  In the meantime, we're
both on the various lists that Daniel was on, soaking up knowledge and
doing our best to ensure nothing falls through the cracks.

If anyone has any issues/concerns/requests/etc, feel free to email
either of us; with Auke in the Netherlands and me in Boston, we cover a
lot of the clock :-).

Thanks for the opportunity,

Andrew

Andrew Kelly | Practice Manager Developer Networks | CollabNet, Inc.
8000 Marina Blvd. Suite 600 | Brisbane, CA 94005 | USA
O 781.639.1394 | C 908.489.4358 | akelly at collab.net
<mailto:cakelly at collab.net>

<http://www.collab.net/>