[Incubator] General Blast to the OSGEO world from CollabNet

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 17:47:10 EDT 2006

Hi Andrew and Auke,
While I agree that getting all the OSGeo projects is a good idea in
theory there are still a few practical issues which we have at the
Mapbuilder project.  I've outlined them at:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Community_Mapbuilder_Incubation_Progress

and copied below:

     Currently I'm reluctant to move our services to Collabnet. Here are
the reasons:

    1. While Collabnet is currently very supportive of OSGeo which is
excellent to see, the reallity of the commercial world is that in five
years there might be a change of management at Collabnet and the OSGeo
support might be cut off. So before we enter in with Collabnet, we need
to think about an exit strategy if we loose Collabnet support. As I
understand it, the current exit strategy would involve migrating from
proprietary tools to "free for open source" tools which would be
expensive in effort.
    2. Migrating to Colabnet would involve a medium amount of effort and
we would loose some information like bugs from the bug tracker.

     I would prefer to keep all project tools on one server rather than
many. Currently codehaus.org is providing most of our tools. They
provide tools for free, and the tools used are available for free to
open source projects so we have a low cost exit stratagy if Codehaus folds.

--
Cameron Shorter
http://cameron.shorter.net