[Incubator] Committee Launch and Initial Meeting

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Mar 10 08:59:47 EST 2006

Cameron Shorter wrote:
> Yes, I have to confess the my enthusiasm for Open Source is reduced at
> 04:00.
> I suggest to stick with the current timeslot, but in the IRC poll people
> for availability for future meetings.
>
> The one timeslot that seems to work for most countries is 1.5 to 2 hours
> later.  (I sometimes wake up for a 05:30 meeting).
> http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?year=2006&month=3&day=7&hour=19&min=0&sec=0

Cameron,

OK, we will try 2 hours later for a future meeting.   My hope is that we
can do most business on the mailing list with official meetings mostly
to ratify agreed plans officially passing motions.

I would add I'm often in #osgeo on irc.freenode.net and I would encourage
others to drop in to chat about issues.

> If I were to be coming to the meeting, I'd be asking:
> Can we please have an audit checklist for our code.
> What do we need to check?
> What evidence to we need to provide that we did our checks?
> What ongoing checks do we need to do as PSC members?  (Again a checklist
> would probably help).
> What criteria and evidence to we need to provide in incorporating
> libraries?
> Can we distribute libraries as part of our distribution?

Lets prepare a wiki page on the topic of ensuring code provenance
and add those there.  They are questions I'm seeing from everyone.

By the way, the answer to them all is not cut and dry.  We as an
incubation committee will need to propose rules on this to the board
that provide a reasonable degree of due diligence while not seriously
screwing up our ability to get work done, and contributions.  It may
be instructive to see what others careful projects such as Apache,
and the FSF do.