[Incubator] Incubation Progress Page

Daniel Brookshier dbrookshier at collab.net
Tue Mar 14 12:35:02 EST 2006

\On Mar 14, 2006, at 10:21 AM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> I wouldn't at all agree that being under the same set of managed tools
> was the "whole idea" of the foundation.

Sorry, I like to slap my paint with bright colors. It is however a
clear advantage to use a common set of tools.

> Was there a voting mechanism in the CN platform I missed?
Nope, did not miss a thing. It is however the way we are managing it,
right? Indeed some things are hackish. The site is meant to be used
for software collaboration and as such a little creative thought
needs to be applied to do things like run a foundation.

> There is certain an erosion of the coherence of OSGeo as a brand
> and as
> a group when projects are entirely offsite.  Within the incubator I
> think
> we need to wrestle with what, if any, requirements we would make on
> projects
> to be "on" the osgeo.org web site and tools.  My personal opinion
> is that we
> should not be trying to force the issue, but that we need to do
> something
> to provide some sense of being part of the foundation for member
> projects.
Agreed. I would rather be inclusive. The preferred path is of course
to a full integration. As we all know, there is no such thing as
perfect software. Projects migrating to OSGeo should be encouraged to
go all the way.

> For GDAL I have been successful getting my web site at http://
> gdal.osgeo.org.
> I am contemplating moving my CVS tree into an osgeo.org CVS tree
> but I am
> concerned about the disruption with new CVS userids and so forth.
> I would
> contemplate moving the mailing lists, or at least perhaps hosting new
> announce and user mailing lists at osgeo.org.  I'm not at all
> interested in
> losing my existing bugzilla instance.

This is indeed an issue that we are constantly battling at CollabNet.
Migration is never easy. MapGuide had a similar problem with
migrating their bug database. In the end they are only migrating the
open issues. I wish there was a clean import method, but the
CollabNet platform is not oriented at consuming old information - it
is not cost effective to support all the possible bug trackers and
their many versions.

The good news is that the pain of it is fixed. Once you get over the
hump, it is smooth sailing.

> I think each project, as part of their "incubation project status"
> should list
> the services they are willing to migrate, and how that is going.
> But I
> don't see that we can force anything in this regard.

Agreed

> PS. I don't see any reason why code would need to be in an OSGeo SVN
> tree to be considered valid for our purposes.

Agreed, but in what legal context? If the foundation is taking
responsibility it has no weight with a project hosted off site. If it
is on site and their is a legal need to put a project into a private
mode, we have that option. If it is off site we can not do that. As
you say, there is also dilution of brand, but I also argue dilution
of resources. We have to draw the line legally and in some area of
status based on the reach both of the project and the foundation. You
have to be standing completely under the umbrella to be protected
from the rain.

Again, more here is better in the long run. Agreed we can't force it.
There are however things to think about. We should promote the
complete absorption path over others and have a few concrete reasons
to do so. The legal implications of a partial move, or even just
simple member project in name only, should be considered.