[Incubator] Incubation Progress Page

Markus Neteler neteler.osgeo at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 13:04:52 EST 2006

On 3/14/06, Daniel Brookshier <dbrookshier at collab.net> wrote:
> \On Mar 14, 2006, at 10:21 AM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> > I'm not at all interested in
> > losing my existing bugzilla instance.
>
> This is indeed an issue that we are constantly battling at CollabNet.
> Migration is never easy. MapGuide had a similar problem with
> migrating their bug database. In the end they are only migrating the
> open issues. I wish there was a clean import method, but the
> CollabNet platform is not oriented at consuming old information - it
> is not cost effective to support all the possible bug trackers and
> their many versions.
>
> The good news is that the pain of it is fixed. Once you get over the
> hump, it is smooth sailing.

I would strongly discourage to lose the history of a project.
Open Source projects are one of the few, where long term
software engineering studies can be done. If you throw away
all information, this is not helpful for analysing software evolutionary
patterns etc. If anyone needs references, I am happy to post
here bibliography on comparative studies.

The same applies to mailing list archives.

Best

 Markus