[Incubator] "Should QGIS Join OSGeo?"

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 21:27:25 EDT 2006

QGIS in OSGeo?
==============
QGIS is a good package and with my limited knowledge of it, I think it
is a strong contender for OSGeo.
I'm interested to know about the relationship between QGIS and UDig.
I assume the projects are addressing the same use case (desk top GIS)?

They use different languages, so I assume it will be difficult to
consolidate the projects?

Moving Mapbuilder through graduation:
=====================================

* I believe Mapbuilder is ready to be graduated. As far as I'm aware, we
have completed all the graduation criteria. I've been putting off the
graduation until I had a few spare hours to complete the process, but we
can bump the priority up if needed.

* We intend to put out a Mapbuilder release canidate within the next few
weeks and it would be opportune to coordinate with an OSGeo Graduation
Ceremony.

Jo Walsh wrote:
> dear incubatees,
>
> http://qgis.org/index.php?option=com_poll&task=results&id=12
> So if their polling software is to be believed the QGIS community is
> going about 4/5 in favour of getting into OSGeo incubation.
>
> That I know of, FAO GeoNetwork and OpenLayers both submitted
> applications to the incubator before F0SS4G, and I guess there is no
> rush there, it is great to be connecting to the GeoNetwork people a
> bit more and figuring out all the good stuff that they are about, and
> OpenLayers has been happily connecting across different OSGeo members'
> projects with no need of encouragement. And perhaps another couple of
> projects need to be let out the incubator trap before allowing more in?
>
> At some point i'd love to see a incubation candidate list and some kind
> of public review/evaluation process for the submitted applications and how they
> stack up against http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Project_Evaluation_Criteria
> especially so prospective projects can have timelines and not be left
> with any kind of "don't call us, we'll call you" feeling.
>
> A small raft of graduations and incubations would definitely provide a
> lot "to talk about" in terms of bloggage, PR energy, that sort of thing.
>
> cheers,
>

> jo

Cameron Shorter
http://cameron.shorter.net