[Incubator] Re: Motion: MapBuilder To Graduate Incubation

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Wed Oct 25 22:02:34 EDT 2006

Hrm, I'm not sure I agree that the process 'will grow and improve over
time' if we just let people pass if we know there's a problem.
Incubation committee is low on most people's priority list so the only
time things get done for it are when a project is close to graduation.

I'm still ok with MapBuilder passing, but it'd be nice if we at least
assigned someone the task of liaising with viscomm and getting a sense
of the marketing materials needed.

I feel somewhat similarly about waiting for OSGeo to 'come up with
branding' - mapbuilder _is_ OSGeo, and to pass on that requirement for
graduation because an all volunteer organization only has a few logos
instead of a unified design and look and feel sounds less than ideal to
me.  I can't access the mapbuilder site right now, it appears to be down
for me, so maybe you already have it, but it'd be nice to have the OSGeo
logo featured in some way, and perhaps try to use some of the same
colors.  Or better yet get moving on the confluence license, set it up
on an OSGeo box, and fully style that to match the logo, and let others
also use the confluence wiki - I know GeoTools would probably jump at
the chance.

To work I feel OSGeo needs people to realize that they have the power to
change things, that they don't need to wait for other 'committees'.

Chris

--
Chris Holmes
The Open Planning Project