[Incubator] Transfering Code Copyright - restart

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Sep 7 14:57:48 EDT 2006

rich at richsteele.org wrote:
> For GRASS, I think it has been settled that: (i)
> contributions will continue to be owned by the individual developer;
> (ii) those contributions will be licensed by the developer under the
> GPL; and (iii) no CLA will be required by the GRASS PSC.

Rich,

The GRASS project has lots of files which are labelled:

   * COPYRIGHT:    (C) 2000 by the GRASS Development Team

If we aren't arrangement assignment should these be corrected to list the
original author and/or some other "real" copyright holder?  Does it affect
this decision that many of the files were originally in the public domain
from CERL?

I feel ... uncomfortable ... having these files listing an impossible
(from a legal point of view) copyright holder.  But on the other hand, I'm
really unclear on what the appropriate resolution to this would be.