[Incubator] Transfering Code Copyright - restart

Markus Neteler neteler.osgeo at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 17:01:07 EDT 2006

(cc grass-dev)

[@grass-dev: the full thread is here:
https://incubator.osgeo.org/servlets/BrowseList?listName=incubator&by=date&from=2006-09-01&to=2006-09-30&first=1&count=23
]

On 9/7/06, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:
> rich at richsteele.org wrote:
> > For GRASS, I think it has been settled that: (i)
> > contributions will continue to be owned by the individual developer;
> > (ii) those contributions will be licensed by the developer under the
> > GPL; and (iii) no CLA will be required by the GRASS PSC.
>
> Rich,
>
> The GRASS project has lots of files which are labelled:
>
>    * COPYRIGHT:    (C) 2000 by the GRASS Development Team
>
> If we aren't arrangement assignment should these be corrected to list the
> original author and/or some other "real" copyright holder?

Frank, we are working on that (slowly, since we have 3000+ files to
manually edit). Schuyler was do kind to write a perl script which extracts
the contributor names from CVS. So, at least the author names should/
will be *also* there.

> Does it affect
> this decision that many of the files were originally in the public domain
> from CERL?
>
> I feel ... uncomfortable ... having these files listing an impossible
> (from a legal point of view) copyright holder.  But on the other hand, I'm
> really unclear on what the appropriate resolution to this would be.

Probably we need to render "GRASS Development Team" into a legal
entity? But: the authors are also listed (if not, we are working on that)!

Markus