[Incubator] Transfering Code Copyright - restart

Jody Garnett jgarnett at refractions.net
Fri Sep 8 05:29:12 EDT 2006

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> I feel ... uncomfortable ... having these files listing an impossible
> (from a legal point of view) copyright holder.  But on the other hand,
> I'm
> really unclear on what the appropriate resolution to this would be.
GeoTools was in the same boat, we asked our development community, and
we chose placing the code under OSGEO (c) as the best option, vs forming
our "GeoTools Project Management Committee" as a legal entity.  Forming
a legal entity on your own is another resolution however, it would have
to go through the same questions we are asking here.

In short it seems the initial batch of incubation projects are indeed
hitting the snags we can expect as time goes on.