[SAC] Request for comments: Infrastructure migration assessment

Markus Neteler neteler.osgeo at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 12:42:12 EDT 2006

Dear all,

[repost from board list]
thanks for the nice proposal! Here some suggestions/comments:

- Mapbender loss of archives: this is absolutely dangerous and
   should be avoided at least for other projects (copyright infringement
   issues, authorships etc are often commented therein)
- telascience.org: you may add "geodata processing" to the list of
   usages
- Drupal:
  - do we know anything about its scalability (many users)?
  - how to mirror it to other web sites (GRASS has 25+ mirrors worldwide)
- Hosting questions:  do we have cost scenarios for the hired staff
   (maybe I should know)
- automated smoke tests on telascience.org: do we have different
   operating systems there?

Infrastructure: please add
- telephone conference server (Asterix or YATE,..) to render communication
   free and improve sound quality
- a translation portal for software user messages (web based, e.g.
   rosetta/launchpad (still non-free, let's free it), KDE kartouche, ...)
- IRC CGI interface for all foundation projects to enable people behind
   firewalls to enter IRC (limit access to OSGeo related channels)

Best,
Markus