[Incubator] Motion: Recommend gvSIG for Incubation

Markus Neteler neteler.osgeo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 10:59:49 EDT 2007

On 7/10/07, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:
> *   8. Please describe any relationships with commercial companies or
> products.*
>
> Recently, gvSIG has been adding support for commercial geospatial web
> services and databases, adding drivers for ArcIMS (ESRI) Map and Feature
> services, and support for Oracle Spatial databases and ArcSDE (ESRI)
> will be coming soon. However, no direct contact or agreement exists with
> those companies.
>
> *   9. Which open source license(s) will the source code be released under?*
>
> gvSIG is released under GNU Public License (GPL).

Hi,

a curiosity: How does the coupling to proprietary software work given that
gvSIG is released under GPL? In GRASS, we had major troubles to link to
the openDWG library, it required an GPL exception for v.in.dwg.

Or are the APIs/libraries of ArcIMS, ArcSDE, Oracle Spatial compliant to
the GPL?

Best,
Markus