[Incubator] GeoMoose Application

Blammo bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Thu Oct 18 01:14:14 EDT 2007

All (sorry this is so long, I probably took too long to think about it),

I've been thinking about the GeoMoose application some after talking to
some local OSGEO participants.  These local folks believe it might be
better to pull GeoMoose out of the Incubation process at this time.  I'm
on the fence about it actually.

The original reason(s) for trying:

The intent was to promote GeoMoose via OSGEO, not necessarily get into a
OSGEO stamp of approval, at least not immediately.  Unfortunately, other
than Incubation, there's no way to really get the word out about a new
project via OSGEO.  I know about the wiki.labs thing, but that seems to
convey the notion that the listed project(s) are in an unfinished state
and not ready for real use.  GeoMoose is a fully production ready,
browser framework.   I also may have (unrealistically) read more between
the lines of the incubation application than was really there.  Since
most of the application asks fairly vague questions, I figured some of
the areas of compliance might be forgiven if they were just as vague :c)

If GeoMoose is pulled from consideration, I have some thoughts related
to GeoMoose and future applicants:

Since GeoMoose is built upon MapServer and there will be a OpenLayers
component to it in the near future, I was wondering about OSGEO listing
things out in a different category, something along the lines of a OSGEO
application component.  Maybe a "Tested Components" list, that is linked
to from the front page next to each OSGEO code base.  GeoMoose could
conceivably be included in MapServers and OpenLayers component lists for
example.  There could also be a user rating system to go along with
something like this, which would help things along in other ways on the
promotional front.

The biggest plus I see from this type of setup, is that you can have
newer rarely seen components or business specific packages (like Geomose
currently is) right alongside the tried and true applications that are
already out there.  The list could be user generated too, because you
simply set up a system for the component owners to register their own
code with their own descriptions, if a validation process needs to be
setup, make them show a screenshot or something else to show it
working.  It does require a web presence of some sort for the
registration process though.  It also shouldn't dilute the OSGEO
"official" offereings in any way, I think it would actually be a good
thing for OSGEO promotion.

Anyway, I'm still mulling things over in this regard, any thoughts from
anyone here?  Thanks for getting this far.

bobb