[Incubator] GeoNetwork incubator status; time to graduate

Jeroen Ticheler Jeroen at Ticheler.net
Thu Oct 18 09:02:18 EDT 2007

Hi all,
I wanted to give you an update on where we are with the GeoNetwork
opensource incubation process. I think we are about ready to request
passing incubation. We have done all the required work from what I
can see.

All details can be found on the GeoNetwork incubator page and related
pages.
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/GeoNetwork_Incubation_Status

The only thing I'm waiting for is our advisory board members to give
their OK on the PSC guidelines. Not all responded to my request. They
take too long from my perspective ;-)

Some more background on that:
Last year we decided to have an advisory board more than a project
steering committee and have me coordinate the day to day project. The
idea was that the project runs fine and we do not want to complicate
that process with many rules & regulations. So we identified a number
of people to take seat on the advisory board and make sure we all
meet during the GeoNetwork workshop. During that workshop we have
both technical workshops and working groups that discuss the
requirements and related work plan for the project. This is a
community process. All members of the GN community are invited and
asked (also on the mailing list) to give their priorities. We reach
consensus on the work plan and look for who does what.

Since all code review has been done, the committers have agreed to
the Committer Guidelines and I want to finish incubation before our
next GeoNetwork workshop (as agreed by the GeoNetwork workshop last
year) I hereby want to ask the incubation committee to consider
graduating the project.

During the Workshop I will propose to also install a project
committee that deals with the actual technical implementation. That
means we will work towards a two level structure in which we have an
advisory board and a technical committee. The last one will have
developers and users in its membership while the first one has a more
general advisory role.

OK, looking forward to hear from the incubation committee.
Ciao,
Jeroen