[Incubator] OSGeo Karma

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 07:12:36 EDT 2007

I agree that we should select projects based on their "Value for effort"
- let's call it "OSGeo Karma".
Here are some thoughts on measures for OSGeo Kama.

1. OSGeo Karma = (Return on investment for each user of a project) *
(number of expected users)

2. If a library project increases the Kama of another project, then the
library project shares in the OSGeo Karma.

3. More karma is gained for a project which attracts new users to OSGeo,
than a project which moves users from one OSGeo project to another.
Fragmenting projects may produce negative karma if the projects end up
with less developers each, produce less functionality and hence are all
less valuable.

4. There is more karma for applications which address a greater need -
be that disadvantaged communities, or a hole in the OSGeo stack.

5. More karma is produced for projects which bring their own resources
with them. Eg, if they have financial backing which will help reduce
pressure on OSGeo resources.

6. More karma goes to projects which are likely to attract resources
(funding or human) to other components in the OSGeo stack.

7. Lots of karma goes to projects which actively integrate various OSGeo
projects, thus making the whole OSGeo stack more valuable.

8. ... (plus existing OSGeo Incubation criteria)

--
Cameron Shorter
Systems Architect, http://lisasoft.com.au